OfLettersAndofSciences

Of Letters and of Sciences

Welcome! This is a blog about literature and books that are critical to any social discourse: literary, cultural, racial, gender-based. A blog for humanists, scholars, the curious, and thinkers and thinkeresses.

Of Letters and of Sciences. Of Discourse and of Politics. Of the Personal and the Political.

I find it too revealing to blog about books that I am reading personally, but I do think that with the climate of contemporary social discourse, there are certain books (and many more than one would think) that rank with immense importance in the field of "the arts and sciences": cultural criticism, racial discourse, religion, politics, philosophy, communications, and other modes of thought.

I am lucky that from an early age, I observed such tomes as "Zami" by Audre Lorde and "The Iceman Cometh" by Eugene O'Neill in my mother's library.

By the time I got to college, reading bell hooks, Audre Lorde, Catherine MacKinnon, and political philosophers was giving me the immense vocabulary and depth into this world of social discourse and theory that I find so critical to society.

In fact, I rarely talk about anything else.

I can't help it.

So, on one late summer afternoon, I decided to myself, "Self, why don't you channel all that energy you use to talk about things on Facebook into a blog about social discourse instead?"

I am indeed a bibliophile, but I don't think that reviewing my every thought about a dystopian young adult novel is really that productive, in my eyes, at least.

BUT if that young adult dystopian novel should happen to reveal interesting notable themes and threads about class and revolutions, well then, I shall by no means exclude it. :)

So, this is my mission statement, but it is by no means iron-clad.

I don't want to stick only to a "dry" 'syllabus', if you will. This is for the books to which I am already attracted, but that have some significance to some discourse today.

I won't go in search of Camus or hunt down Nietzsche, but I will write about those books that interest me, including those of Simone de Beauvoir, Walter Rodney, Frantz Fanon, Sylvia Plath, Virginia, Woolf, and other books that appeal to me.

But, this in no means that I'll banish a book that made an impact on me if it is "merely" marketed as a normal fiction novel. I won't dig around trying to connect Meg Cabot to gender politics, but this is a blog about books I love, and I realize that what characterizes both the non-fiction and the fiction books I love is that they all contain something deeper; something of discourse.

That's my plan, anyway. This road may take me to different places, but I do want this to be, in short, a personal and political blog.

Stay in thought.