OfLettersAndofSciences

Of Letters and of Sciences

Welcome! This is a blog about literature and books that are critical to any social discourse: literary, cultural, racial, gender-based. A blog for humanists, scholars, the curious, and thinkers and thinkeresses.

2014 Literary Resolutions

Beloved Publisher: Vintage - Toni (Author)Morrison The Golden Notebook - Doris Lessing The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath The Second Sex - Simone de Beauvoir, Sheila Malovany-Chevallier, Constance Borde Being and Nothingness - Jean-Paul Sartre, Hazel Estella Barnes Howl and Other Poems - Allen Ginsberg, William Carlos Williams Roots: The Saga of an American Family - Alex Haley The Temple of My Familiar - Alice Walker

By the end of the year, I will have read

Beloved by Toni Morisson (I know, I know, don't yell at me. I haven't read it yet.)

Roots by Alex Haley. (I'll give myself until 2015 for this one. Delving.)

The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing (in honour of her passing and also because it's time I read it. My mind is sufficiently developed now, I think)

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Much has been made about her poetry versus her prose; more people tend to focus on her verse as her "canon" and The Bell Jar, while famous, kind of gets left out a little from discussion. As it is currently sitting above my head on a shelf, however, I want to read it. It reminds me a little of Girl, Interrupted, which is scary, but this is Sylvia Plath. I'm in good literary hands. Will just remember to pursue happy extracurriculars while reading.

La Deuxieme Sexe par Simone de Beauvoir- It's tiiiiiimmmmme. <3

Being and Nothingness by Jean-Paul Sartre. Ditto. Existentialist time.

+ I know this doesn't count because it's a movie, but I want to see Kill Your Darlings (2013) with Daniel Radcliffe as Allen Ginsberg and Dane DeHann as Lucien Carr (about whom I had never heard). Jack Kerouac also shows up in it, and William Burroughs. So I love the beats, but really Ginsberg only. I kind of don't like Kerouac, but we'll see, won't we?

Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg. Again, it's about ruddy time. I think listening to Howl is as important as reading it, but I want to get a nice collection of the beats. Ah, Allen.

If and only if I feel like it:

The Temple of my Familiar by Alice Walker. Can wait until I'm 30.